Contact MrEnergizer by PM for more info and prices
SOUNDTAPES
ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE

Users - 2838
Posts - 33022
Domain Rating - 78

Contact MrEnergizer by PM for more info and prices
SOUNDTAPES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Car Imports & Transfers in Spain
Car Transfer in Spain
Alternative Cancer Treatments
Alternative Cancer Treatments
Poll
What do you use the site for?
Download clashes
Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_lcap42%Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_rcap
 42% [ 92 ]
Check dates/places of clashes
Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_lcap2%Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_rcap
 2% [ 5 ]
Both
Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_lcap51%Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_rcap
 51% [ 112 ]
Other
Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_lcap4%Derrick Morgan Selection Vote_rcap
 4% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 218
Statistics
We have 2878 registered users
The newest registered user is trademarley

Our users have posted a total of 33120 messages in 4752 subjects

Derrick Morgan Selection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mister Soundtapes
Admin
Admin
Mister Soundtapes

Male
Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Derrick Morgan Selection Empty
PostSubject: Derrick Morgan Selection   Derrick Morgan Selection Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

The legend's still going strong!

If there's anyone cooler than Derrick Morgan I don't want to know about it. I saw him perform for the second time last week at the current leading Brixton venue Hootenannay (try not to miss The Heptones show on the 19th July). He's a great performer and reminded us why he was one of the top artists throughout the 60s, easily adapting (and leading the way) through the musical changes of the decade- ska, rude boy tunes, rocksteady, reggae, slackness (not on here- wait for part 2!) and even early DJing styles. The show last week was so nice. Really packed with different kinds of people, young old, black and white and had a great atmosphere. I met a really interesting guy there. Do you remember in Babylon when Jah Lion sound got vandalised they pulled a guy out of a church and asked for the keys to his sound- well I met that guy. He was involved in the sound business at that time and was called Rootsman Hi Fi. He introduced me to a few of his friends who also had different sounds. It was a good drunken time after the show. Jah Revelation Muzik showed us their oldies selection till 3am or so.

In this mix I'm playing through my favourite 45s (lots of reissues on his own Hop label should still be available to buy) and a few LP tracks. I have enough sides still for a part 2, so watch this space....

Derrick Morgan Selection Al20Capone_Derrick20Morgan_Jimmy20C
Dennis Alcapone, Derrick Morgan, Jimmy Cliff, Bunny Lee (1971ish)

"Derrick Morgan (born 27 March 1940, Mocho, Clarendon Parish, Jamaica) is a musical artist popular in the 1960s and 1970s.[1] He worked with Desmond Dekker, Bob Marley, and Jimmy Cliff in the ska genre, and he also performed rocksteady and skinhead reggae.
In 1957 Morgan entered the Vere Johns Opportunity Hour, a talent show held at the Palace Theatre in Kingston. He won with rousing impressions of Little Richard, and shortly after that, was recruited to perform around the island with the popular Jamaican comedy team, Bim and Bam. In 1959 Morgan entered the recording studio for the first time. Duke Reid, the acclaimed sound system boss, was looking for talent to record for his Treasure Isle record label. Morgan cut two popular shuffle-boogie sides "Lover Boy", a.k.a. "S-Corner Rock", and "Oh My". Soon after, Morgan cut the bolero tinged boogie, "Fat Man", which also became a hit. He also found time to record for Coxsone Dodd.
In 1960 Morgan became the only artist ever to fill the places from one to seven on the Jamaican pop chart simultaneously.[2] Among those hits were "Don't Call Me Daddy", "In My Heart", "Be Still", and "Meekly Wait and Murmur Not". But it was the following year that Morgan released the biggest hit of his career, the Leslie Kong production of "You Don't Know", later retitled "Housewives’ Choice" by a local DJ. The song featured a bouncing ska riddim, along with a duet by Morgan and Millicent "Patsy" Todd.
"Housewives’ Choice" began the legendary rivalry between Morgan and Prince Buster, who accused Morgan of stealing his ideas. Buster quickly released "Blackhead Chiney Man", chiding Morgan with the sarcastic put-down, "I did not know your parents were from Hong Kong" – a swipe at Kong. Morgan returned with the classic "Blazing Fire", in which he warns Buster to "Live and let others live, and your days will be much longer. You said it. Now it’s the Blazing Fire". Buster shot back with, "Watch It Blackhead", which Morgan countered with "No Raise No Praise" and "Still Insist". Followers of the two artists often clashed, and eventually the government had to step in with a staged photo shoot depicting the rivals as friends.
In the mid-1960s, when ska evolved into the cooler, more soulful rocksteady, Morgan continued to release top quality material, including the seminal rude boy classic, "Tougher Than Tough", "Do the Beng Beng", "Conquering Ruler", and a cover of Ben E. King’s soul hit, "Seven Letters". Produced by Bunny Lee, "Seven Letters" is often cited as the first true reggae single.[3] In 1969 Morgan cut the famous skinhead anthem, "Moon Hop" (on Crab Records). However, failing eyesight then forced him to give up regular stage appearances. Morgan still performs occasionally at ska revival shows across the world – often backed by the guitarist, Lynn Taitt. He remained popular in Jamaica and the UK into the early 1970s, and has lived primarily in the UK or the U.S. since the late 1960s." - Wikipedia

Tracklist:
IN MY HEART (PRINCE BUSTER)
DON'T CALL ME DADDY (TREASURE ISLE)
GOING DOWN TO CANAAN - WITH DENZIL DENNIS (HOP)
PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT ME- WITH ERIC "MONTY" MORRIS (HOP)
FORWARD MARCH (BEVERLEY'S)
GATHER TOGETHER- WITH THE BLUES BLENDERS (HOP)
BE STILL (APPLE)
BURNETTE (BLUE BEAT)
HOUSEWIFE'S CHOICE- WITH PATSY (HOP)
OH SHIRLEY- WITH PATSY (HOP)
WALL FLOWER- WITH NAOMI (HOP)
I WISH I WERE AN APPLE- WITH NAOMI (HOP)
HEART OF STONE- WITH NAOMI (HOP)
LET ME GO (HOP)
BLAZING FIRE (BEVERLEY'S)
GREATEST THING (I AM A BLACKHEAD AGAIN) (HOP)
THE RULER (HOP)
MINE YOU KILL ME DEAD (HOP)GREEDY GAL (HOP)
YOU NEVER MISS YOUR WATER (TROJAN LP)
BAD LUCK ON ME- WITH LYN TAIT [SIC] & THE JETS (HOP)
STUMBLING BLOCK- WITH LYN TAIT [SIC] & THE JETS (HOP)
RUDIE DON'T FEAR (HOP)
CONQUERING LION (TROJAN LP)
FATHER KILLOM (HOP)
GOT YOU ON MY MIND (TROJAN LP)
TEARS ON MY PILLOW- WITH LYN TAIT [SIC] & THE JETS (HOP)
IT'S ALRIGHT (HOP)
DON'T PLAY THAT SONG (PAMA)
STAND BY ME (HOP)
FIRST TASTE OF LOVE (PAMA)
GIMME BACK (HOP)
WIPE YOUR TEARS (PAMA LP)
RIVER TO THE BANK (HOP)
HOLD U JACK (STRIKER LEE)
I LOVE YOU (HOP)
TOP THE POP (UNITY)

79mins/ 9 tracks/ 224kbs/ 127mb/ word format CD sleeve in folder

Derrick Morgan Selection Derrick-morgan
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrsoundtapes.com
daveinprague
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Male
Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Derrick Morgan Selection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derrick Morgan Selection   Derrick Morgan Selection Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Give thanks, he was here recently albeit at a festival in some dorp on the other side of the country and I couldnt be asked to énjoy the
czech railway system for hours. So thanks for this.
Back to top Go down

Derrick Morgan Selection

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1