Contact MrEnergizer by PM for more info and prices
SOUNDTAPES
ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE

Users - 2838
Posts - 33022
Domain Rating - 78

Contact MrEnergizer by PM for more info and prices
SOUNDTAPES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Car Imports & Transfers in Spain
Car Transfer in Spain
Alternative Cancer Treatments
Alternative Cancer Treatments
Poll
What do you use the site for?
Download clashes
Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_lcap42%Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_rcap
 42% [ 92 ]
Check dates/places of clashes
Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_lcap2%Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_rcap
 2% [ 5 ]
Both
Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_lcap52%Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_rcap
 52% [ 114 ]
Other
Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_lcap4%Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Vote_rcap
 4% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 220
Statistics
We have 2888 registered users
The newest registered user is finley

Our users have posted a total of 33132 messages in 4752 subjects

Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrEnergizer
MrEnergizer

Male
Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Empty
PostSubject: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 am

Whos got this dance when sleng teng first dropped? Please post.
Give thanks in advance
MrE
Back to top Go down
jayman65
jayman65

Male
Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 4:01 pm

MrEnergizer wrote:
Whos got this dance when sleng teng first dropped? Please post.
Give thanks in advance
MrE

Though I would like to hear the Jammys side to this, it was'nt when Sleng teng first dropped... I have a Youth Promotion from 30 1 85 vs Gemini where Promotion are playing Sleng Teng and they say they are playing it exclusive.. That was the first JA tape I heard it on... The tape is posted in the Youth Promotion section if you want to check it out my friend. It has Wayne Smith doing it live on there too......

I think Coxsone dropped Sleng Teng against Saxon at the Peoples Club clashes in January 85 and I'm sure I heard Unity play it in January too...

PEACE
Back to top Go down
http://www.whocorkthedance.com/
soulrebel
Valued contributor
Valued contributor
soulrebel

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 7:28 am

Jayman,
I am by no means questioning you, I would just like to know how it was possible for these other sounds to play Sleng Teng before Jammys released it or even played it? Did they play Jammy's version or did they build their own riddims? How had they learned about it? From reading Beth Lesser's book on Jammy I got the impression that nobody knew about Sleng Teng before the clash against Black Scorpio...

/Mathias
Back to top Go down
http://www.millionvibes.com/
jayman65
jayman65

Male
Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 11:44 pm

Wayne Smith built the Sleng Teng rhythm himself so maybe the version Promotion are playing is one of the first dub-plates of it. The fact that he's also in the dance doing it live may mean he could have taken the dub-plate to the dance.... Just a theory, but you cant argue with the facts that this dance vs Gemini was definately an earlier date than the Jammys, Scorpio clash that has been posted. Also they say they are the only sound playing it.
If you also listen to Youth Promotion at the House of Stars 84 (there is a released LP of this called George Phang presents Strictly Livestock on Greensleeves records) You hear Wayne Smith sing a prototype version of Sleng Teng, not on the Sleng Teng rhythm, but more linkage between Wayne Smith and Youth Promotion...
I think there may have been 2 clashes between Jammys and Scorpio not far apart so the one where Jammys debuts Sleng Teng could have been at an earlier date, but tapes from the other clash have not surfaced YET! so maybe we will find a definative answer one day.

As for Coxsone playing it in January 85, again it is documented on tape so that is fact. Coxsone have strong links with Sugar Minott, so maybe they got Sleng Teng from him... Again Theory, but a possible reason..

A very interesting subject and one I'm sure we have not heard the last of!

PEACE
Back to top Go down
http://www.whocorkthedance.com/
MrEnergizer
MrEnergizer

Male
Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 1:57 am

thx for the info Jayman.
MrE
Back to top Go down
bootzilla
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Male
Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 4:43 am

Hopefully we will get a definitive answer to this riddle soon - as it would be nice to trace the history of this famous riddim in the dancehall.
The info provided here is very useful - thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped   Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jammys vs black Scorpio 23 Feb 1985 Sleng teng dropped

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SOUNDTAPES  :: Discussion forums :: Requests-